Saturday, December 12, 2009

Veronica Mars: My TV Crush

One of my favorite cult shows is Veronica Mars. If you haven't seen it the show's title character Veronica played wonderfully by Kristen Bell is a girl that had a horrific Sophomore year of High School. Basically to some it up, Veronica's best friend was murdered, her Dad lost his job as Sheriff and she was dumped by her boyfriend which in turn caused her to get raped. Now if this was a normal teen drama the show would have Veronica contemplating suicide but what emerged from her tragedy was an incredibly smart, yet sassy girl with a concealed big heart who I still have a TV crush on til this day. Although, having a TV crush on Veronica is not the only reason why I was attracted to this show, it was the fact that Veronica Mars dealt with an universal issue everyone can relate to which is something bad happening to you in High School.

The event that turned Veronica Mars' life upside down

However, the show does not focus on that event in particular, it focuses on Veronica rising above her embarrassment by honing her teenage angst into a mystery solving ability which she uses to help fellow students who have been wronged like her and solve her best friend's murder. In fact I think Veronica rising above tragedy by helping people might make her an even stronger heroine than Buffy The Vampire Slayer based on the fact that she deals with issues and on occasion crimes that exist in the real world. At the same time, I could also make an argument that Veronica is stronger than Buffy because when I was watching Veronica Mars which was during my last two years of High School, I was overcoming my own High School tragedy just like Veronica and I think her using that event to become a better person played a part in helping me get over my own crap.


Who's a stronger heroine Veronica or Buffy? You Decide.

Sadly just as fans got to know her, Veronica Mars was taken away from us after three seasons for the purpose of The CW being impatient with the show trying to find its legs after moving Veronica to College which I didn't think took the show very long compared to Buffy season 4. The show's creator Rob Thomas tried to save Veronica Mars by connecting her best friend's murder to an conspiracy and making a season 4 mini episode where Veronica joins the FBI but it left us with unanswered questions. Now I guess the only thing we Veronica fans can do is hope those rumors of a movie is true.

Check out the Veronica Mars season 4 mini episode below...



Get Veronica Mars Seasons 1-3 on DVD or watch it online and keep an eye out for Kristen Bell, she's going to become a very popular actress in the next few years.

1 comments:

john said...

Veronica is the prettiest character in any series that i have seen in my life.

Post a Comment