Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dollhouse: A Joss Whedon Show That Is Losing My Interest

If anyone ever asked me who my favorite Television writer is I would have to say Joss Whedon because he never let the small screen limit his imagination from giving a teenager the power to slay Vampires, cursing a Vampire to have a soul and have a Western be set in outer space. At first the ideas behind Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly seem far fetched but Joss made these shows fan favorites by each of them featuring a battle between good and evil with heart generated by a family of characters who would make audiences yell, scream and cry at the TV when one of them got killed or broke off a romance. This battle between good and evil with heart led to the birth of many popular sci-fi, fantasy shows on TV today including Heroes, Lost, Smallville, Supernatural and Fringe.
Joss Whedon's big three shows.


Within this realm of TV shows fathered by Joss Whedon emerges his new show Dollhouse based on the shows description in this link, Dollhouse has not grown on me like Joss' other shows. This is due to the fact that the company behind the "dolls" or "actives"; a programmable human who can receive different personalities in order to accomplish engagements for very wealthy clients exists in a gray area between good and evil. Also the character of the doll Echo played by leading actress Eliza Dushku gets her mind erased at the end of every episode eliminating the character building that gave Joss' previous shows heart. The other lead character FBI Agent Ballard has gone through some building but he has gone from trying to take down the Dollhouse to working for it making his final goal unclear compared to characters like Buffy who was trying to grow up or Angel who was seeking redemption.Eliza Dushku as Echo on Dollhouse




The other issue with Dollhouse is that it is based in reality meaning that Joss cannot use his imagination to expand the realm of the TV screen. This leaves me with one question is Fox keeping Joss in check or has he lost his imagination? I honestly do not know the answer but if Joss does not change the status quo of Dollhouse like he did with the season 2 episode "Innocence" on Buffy, I might jump ship on my favorite writer.

If you are interested in Dollhouse check it out Fridays at 8/9c on Fox or online.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Solid. Focused. Well-supported. Interesting post.

CReifste said...

I fail to see the connection or influence of Joss in the show Lost, so on that point I must disagree. You know that not only is he your favorite writer, but indeed I was the one that introduced you to my favorite show of all time... Firefly, so I agree that he is brilliant. However, even a Joss Whedon apologist like me cannot give him credit for the uniqueness and originality of the show Lost. Likewise, being that Fringe and Lost are both in the realm of JJ Abrams, I would say that the lessons learned in the early seasons of Lost are a greater influence on the Fringe storyline than say Joss Whedon. I recognize some of the topics we have discussed in our weekly talks and I enjoy reading the blog... keep up the high quality and I'll keep reading.
~Nico

Post a Comment